Wednesday, February 02, 2005

UPDATE!

I'm remaining hopefully optimistic that the podcast will go on-air as scheduled Feb. 20. Unfortunately, my primary machine (iBook G4) has sailed away to Memphis for repair. Today. No idea when it will return.

So... I have to figure out a way to record, encode, upload, and publish the podcast betwixt now and the 20th without all my data, settings, etc. Yes, I have backup machines (and a Mac mini on the way), but none are setup for my iPod!

I suppose at this point I should mention my process for podcasting. Normally I'd eschew these details, as the world has plenty of "podcasts about podcasts" but I thought it might be enlightening for those of you new to podcasting in general.

Here's the plan:
1. After doing research and some show notes, record the podcast DIRECTLY onto the iPod using Griffin Technology's iTalk.
2. The recorded audio is transferred to iTunes, where I then use a 3rd party tool to translate it into an MP3 and add appropriate ID3 tags. At this stage I also splice in the bumper music.
3. Once I have the MP3, it's FTP'd up to the host site.
4. After that, the XML file used for RSS is hand-coded, posted, and released into the wild.
5. Using Feedburner or posting to iPodder.org, publicize the podcast...
6. Rake in the dough. (Joke)

This is by NO means streamlined. I'm analyzing a host of tools for automating the process. Guess I'll have to use my creative brain for that!

UPDATE: You can now subscribe to the Atom text feed of this blog! See the right-hand side of this page for the bug/link. It's the easiest way to keep track of show notes and new info.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are creating audio or video for your professional web site then you should try this podcaster tool. This tool will let you edit and delete your recordings.